Los Niños Primero at a Glance
Mission of Los Niños Primero
To prepare underserved Latino pre-school children for educational success by providing opportunities to develop their language, cognitive, social, and motor skills. Together with certified teachers, engaged parents, and trained teen volunteers, we inspire a passion for learning.
To inspire Latino children to be lifelong learners and exemplary members of the community.
A Quick History of Los Niños Primero
For seventeen years, Los Niños Primero has served disadvantaged Latino-American, preschool students and their families. We provide instruction in a rigorous, summer academic program and year-round Saturday school sessions in Sandy Springs, Georgia. Our mission is to prepare these underserved families (most living below the poverty level), to flourish in our public school system. Language, math, science, art and physical fitness are taught by Georgia certified teachers with expertly trained teen volunteers assisting in the classrooms.
Our program stays connected to these families and students throughout their childhood with supplementary programs in the arts, orchestra, chorus, karate and soccer and with relevant parenting educational workshops. Many of the children return to us as teenagers and volunteer in our classroom through high school and college. The extracurricular activities we offer our families engage the students and provide a sense of community. From the age of five, the students and their families are supported and encouraged to participate in these enriching activities. The orchestra, chorus, karate and soccer meet twice a week throughout the year. Karate focuses on discipline training; soccer develops teamwork; the orchestra helps to advance concentration and math skills; and the chorus contributes to improved bilingual language skills. All of the extracurricular activities promote creativity, self-confidence and the reassurance of belonging to a caring community.
- 258 preschool children each year attend our free, academic summer program and Saturday school sessions.
- 1,600 preschool students from Sandy Springs have completed our program since we began in June 2001.
- 118 Teen Volunteers from several Atlanta-area schools work in the classrooms with our Georgia-certified teachers throughout the year and assist in fundraising efforts.
- 32% of our Teen Volunteers participated in Los Niños Primero as students and were eager to return to serve as role models for the LNP students and leaders in their communities.
- 130 adult volunteers work year-round to assist with fundraising and to support our Los Niños Primero families.
- 90% of our families participate in the parent education programs.
- 40% of our annual funding is raised in events that volunteers organize and manage for our program. The remaining funds are from charitable foundations, corporations and individual donors.
Our supporters include:
Goizueta Foundation, Couchman-Noble Foundation, Mount Vernon Presbyterian Foundation,, Mount Vernon Presbyterian School, Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church, The Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta, Haven Campus Communities, The Imlay Foundation, The City of Sandy Springs, Fulton County Community Service Program, Joseph B. Whitehead Foundation/United Way of Greater Atlanta, RBM of Atlanta, Paul and Carol Garcia Family Fund, Global Payments Inc., The Delta Community Credit Union Philanthropic Fund,
Los Niños Primero Partners:
Lake Forest Elementary School, Sandy Springs Mission, Horizons, Holy Spirit Catholic Center, Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church and Sandy Springs Education Force
Maritza Morelli, Executive Director
Ashley Lewman, Development Coordinator